Monday, March 26, 2012

Muffins or Music or Both

Sitting in my (semi) clean office, I'm trying to focus on creating an outline for this new film project with visions of the film parade I watched over the weekend still dancing in my head (Glengarry Glen Ross, Adaptation, The Motorcycle Diaries, The Limey)...

But in true screenwriter fashion (see Adaptation, the banana nut muffin scene), I'm already casting about for a detour. Or a reward.

So I decided to kill two birds with one stone. And I started messing about on iTunes, pulling together another playlist - this time, for the musical soundtrack of my writing life... musical food for creative thought...

Here's what I've got so far:

Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker on Verve
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain
Esperanza Spalding - Chamber Music Society
Cold Specks - all three existing singles
Herbie Hancock - River: The Joni Letters
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Plays, Chet

---
And since I'm always on the hunt for inspiration, it seems fitting I should share the name and work of a prolific writer I recently met. Her name is Nausica Zaballos. She is a busy young woman from France - a doctor of American Civilization and a published author! of a book titled, "Crimes et procès sensationnels à Los Angeles". She came to our festival Rendez-vous du cinéma québécois on behalf of the Festival Paris Cinéma. She was here as their representative, as well as serving as a jury member with me on the Vox prize we awarded to the best student short film during the Rendez-vous.

Well, apparently Nausica fell in love with our film and wrote a very thoughtful and in-depth article about her "festival favourite", The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom on the Paris Cinéma website. If you can read French, you can read it here!

And while you do that, I think I'll just pop out and get me a muffin. Maybe banana nut...